Monday, August 24, 2009

Yep...Only Our Insured...

...and many of you are aware...I am currently working as a Property Damage Adjuster for an Auto Insurance Company. What is that???, you ask....well let me share a little bit. Say you get in an accident, and gather the other persons insurance. You feel the other person is at fault. Therefore, you call said person's insurance company and file a claim. From there, the claim is sent to me, and it is my responsibility to get "our" insured's accident description, any pertinent police reports or witness statements, I have to get estimates and photos of your damage, as well as determine whether or not "our" insured was really at fault in yalls accident. Therefore it requires a lot of decisions being made in good faith, as well as being able to stand behind my decision should I accept or deny coverage for our insured's accident.

(lest us not forget that you should not piss off a claim adjuster, b/c if it comes down to it...the adjusters mood on any given day could determine if they render liability or denial- if the claim could really go either way....ahem)

ANYWAY....I thought I would enlighten your Monday evening (or Tuesday morning...whichever) by sharing some of the claims that came through my office in the past 3 days.

(for the sake of this post, I want to share that the person calling to report the claim, is called a "claimant". The person that my company provides car insurance for, is called "our insured" (duh))

Ok...brace yourseslf....

1) Our Insured calls in to inform us that she has been in an accident. I ask her for her accident decription, and it goes something like this:
"Well, I was driving along the road, and a vehicle starts coming toward me head on. I swerve into the lane next to me, to avoid the collision with the car coming towards me head on. When I swerved, I hit a trash can with the front bumper of my car. When I came in contact with the trash can, it caused me to stop- and gather myself before beginning to drive again. At that point, the other car that was attempting to hit me head on had turned around and parked his car in the middle of the street, gotten out of their car and was attempting to break into my car and harm me. They were pulling so hard on the door handle that my door handle broke off. So I need to get my front bumper repaired, as well as my door handle."
(Me) "Ma'am, did you get any information as to the identity of the person who was driving the other vehicle that tried to harm you?"
"Oh yes...he is the father of my children."

only our insured.....

2) Claimant calls to report an accident. States that she works at the mall, and that the landscaping and mall sign, and light pole have been damaged and that after a witness came forward with further information, it was determined the person who caused this damage had our insurance. So I called our insured and asked for their accident description.
(our insured) " Well I was driving around the mall parking lot, and all of the sudden someone pointed and yelled at me from outside my car, and told me my car was on fire. So I jumped out."
(me)"You jumped out? You put the car in park and jumped out??"
(our insured) "No, my car was in drive, I just jumped out because my car was on fire, dawg. And then I watched my car keep moving down the road and it hit a sign and then went into the flowerbed and finally stopped when it hit a light pole"
(me) "So you bailed out of your car while it was on fire, and still in drive and still in motion?"
(our insured) "yeah, dawg"

only our insured......

Stay tuned my dear readers...there will be more where that came from!

6 talker(s):

Kate said...

OMG these were hilarious!!!

Unknown said...

Those are great. I love that: Yeah he's the father of my children. Great calls dawg, lol.

Jamie said...

You sure the 2nd one wasn't Randy Jackson from American Idol. LOL Too funny!

Kaden & Merridy's Mummy said...

amazing. gotta love that people live their day to day lives this way, eh?

Jane said...

I just laughed out loud and shared this with my roommate who also busted out laughing. I will definitely be back to your blog!

Suzanne said...

This post made my day!! Some peoples kids, I swear.